Check Out the Refreshing Changes to Downtown Wausau
GET DOWNTOWN. IT’S REFRESHING!
Downtown Wausau has undergone impressive changes recently. Aspirus Family Physician Clinic opened on Third Street in 2022, the Woodson YMCA had a major renovation in 2019 and the award-winning Wausau River District has evolved as a popular destination for entertainment, arts, business and residential development.
Now, nearly 10 acres where the Wausau Center mall stood since 1983 are being transformed under the direction of Wausau Opportunity Zone (WOZ). The mall was demolished in 2021 to make way for much-needed urbanization, including quality retail and commercial space and affordable housing. Two parking ramps, the JCPenney building and HOM Furniture remain.
Stay in the know with regular email updates by signing up below and return here at downtownrefresh.com regularly for continued news and information, project updates and feature stories on the redevelopment of the former mall property and the downtown revitalization efforts. Refreshing changes are coming to your downtown.
The Key Initiatives of 2023
WOZ is working in collaboration with local governments, businesses and community organizations to enhance the quality of life for everyone in the greater Wausau region. Their current focus includes street construction, the new Children's Imaginarium, HOM Furniture façade work and Foundry on 3rd planning. The redevelopment plan is on course to produce a vibrant city center with pedestrian-friendly streetscapes for Wausau residents to live, work and play.
Wausau Center Redevelopment Plan Overview
- Two Minute Drill video on the redevelopment updates - Watch this video series in which Dave Eckmann, President/CEO of the Greater Wausau Chamber of Commerce, shares a brief update on the redevelopment of the Wausau Center Mall property in downtown Wausau.
- Second Street extension in downtown Wausau from Forest and Second Streets was completed in time for the opening of the Children's Imaginarium.
- Children's Imaginarium, Wausau's largest children's STEM museum, will open to the public on December 6. Learn more.
- Foundry on 3rd plans to break ground in the spring of 2024.
Latest News & Developments
- The First Big Attraction in the Downtown Wausau Development Zone Opens December 6 Through years of sheer determination, co-founders Maggie Gordon and Tammy Szekeress have …Continue Reading
- Wausau Opportunity Zone (WOZ) is pleased to announce the completion of the Second Street extension, new sidewalks and more parking in Wausau's downtown development zone, …Continue Reading
- Streets and Sidewalks to be Ready by Mid-October, Paving the Way for New Children’s Imaginarium While Wausau welcomes new businesses to the River District, progress …Continue Reading
- Street Closures for Utilities Installation on Wednesday, September 13 It is anticipated that beginning Wednesday, Washington Street between First Street and Fourth Street will be …Continue Reading
- For decades, Wausau’s riverfront has captivated the imaginations of many who envision its possibilities encompassing housing, recreation and commercial ventures. The picturesque area — stretching …Continue Reading
- Lanes are narrowed down to one at Forest and Second Streets, for approximately three weeks as crews install sewer and water. North Second Street is …Continue Reading
Sign Up for Email Updates
Know exactly what’s happening in the redevelopment zone by subscribing to DOWNTOWN REFRESH updates. Feel free to leave comments or questions about the downtown revitalization.
"*" indicates required fields
We want to thank our community partners and Downtown Wausau businesses for coming together to refresh the downtown. Click below to learn more about our partners and any upcoming event schedules from Wausau Events, Wausau River District and The Grand Theater.